My primary research interest stays in the evolutionary history of animals, how the geographic distributions of populations and species fluctuated over time and space, how organisms adapted to the various natural environments. I would like to explore the underlying genetic diversity of these evolutionary processes using genomic and bioinformatic approaches.
I had been studying “Molecular phylogeography of the brown bear (Ursus arctos) in eastern Eurasia” as my PhD research project and clarified the genetic history of brown bears especially in Asia.
- April 2018–Present: Postdoctoral researcher, Theodosius Dobzhansky Center for Genome Bioinformatics, St. Petersburg State University, Russia
- April 2017–April 2018: Postdoctoral researcher, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Japan
- April 2014–March 2017: JSPS Research Fellowships for Young Scientists (DC1)
- April 2014–March 2017: Ph.D. Department of Natural History Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Japan
- April 2012–March 2014: M.Sc. Department of Natural History Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Japan
- April 2008–March 2012: B.Sc. Division of Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, School of Science, Hokkaido University, Japan
- Hirata D, Mano T, Abramov AV, Baryshnikov GF, Kosintsev PA, Murata K, Masuda R. 2017. Paternal phylogeographic structure of the brown bear (Ursus arctos) in northeastern Asia and the effect of male-mediated gene flow to insular populations. Zool. Lett. 3:1–13.
- Hirata D, Doichev VD, Raichev EG, Palova NA, Nakev JL, Yordanov YM, Kaneko Y, Masuda R. 2015. Genetic variation of the East Balkan Swine (Sus scrofa) in Bulgaria, revealed by mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosomal DNA. Anim. Genet. 46:209–212.
- Hirata D, Abramov AV, Baryshnikov GF, Masuda R. 2014. Mitochondrial DNA haplogrouping of the brown bear, Ursus arctos (Carnivora: Ursidae) in Asia, based on a newly developed APLP analysis. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 111:627–635.
- Hirata D, Mano T, Abramov AV, Baryshnikov GF, Kosintsev PA, Vorobiev AA, Raichev EG, Tsunoda H, Kaneko Y, Murata K, Fukui D, Masuda R. 2013. Molecular phylogeography of the brown bear (Ursus arctos) in Northeastern Asia based on analyses of complete mitochondrial DNA sequences. Mol. Biol. Evol. 30:1644–1652.