Sergey V. Malov graduated from St.-Petersburg State University in 1992. He specialized in Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics and finished his Ph.D. thesis at St.-Petersburg State University in 1995. Dr. Sergey V. Malov completed postdoctoral program in Survival Analysis at Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2 University in 1997-1998. In 2007 Dr. Sergey V. Malov attended fellowship program in applied statistics and AIDS research at CIRA of Yale University. Dr. Sergey V. Malov is an author of more then 25 scientific works in probability theory and mathematical statistics. During 2001 to present time period he was an invited scientist at Mc Master University (Canada), at Le Havre University (France) and at Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg. He is reviewer in “AMS mathematical reviews” from 2006. Dr. Sergey V. Malovis giving courses on probability theory, mathematical statistics and random processes theory for bachelor students at St.-Petersburg Electrotechnical University and courses on applied statistics for master students at St.-Petersburg State University.
General interest of Dr. Sergey V.Malov in the project is an application of mathematical methods in genetics. Main interest is to use modern statistical methods in gene discovery. Current interests are following:
(i). Gene wide association study (GWAS). The aim of GWAS is to specify disease association genes. Hundred of thousands SNP variants across a genome are tested on association with the disease by different tests. Different tests based on fixed time point data, longitudinal and survival data are involved in testing process. The aim is to analyze and interpret correctly results of statistical tests simultaneously. The GWAS methods will be applied to discover AIDS restriction genes.
(ii). Whole genome assembling process currently does not lead to exact genomic sequence. The whole genome association with vertebrate species is dependent on accuracy of genome assembling. Some technical aspects of genome assembling, using probabilistic and Monte Carlo methods for genome assembling are among current interests of Dr. Sergey V.Malov in the project.
Current scientific interests
- Survival Analysis, Censored Data, Multivariate Rank Statistics
- Dependence concept. Copulas.
- Biostatistics, Applications of Multivariate Rank Statistics of Survival Analysis
- Biostatistics, GLM, Multivariate contingency tables
- Applications of mathematical and statistical methods in genomic analysis
Current research interests
- Data analysis in AIDS research
- Population genetics, statistical data analysis
- Application of statistical methods in gene discovery
- Courses on Probability Theory, Math. Statistics, Random Processes, Mathematical Analysis, Linear algebra at St.-Petersburg Electrotechnical University “LETI”;
- Courses on Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics at St.-Petersburg State University
- Special courses “Regression analysis”, “Random Processes in Biology and Medicine”, “Survival Analysis” for specialization “Biostatistics” at St.-Petersburg State University.
- Special course on Biometrics for student at the char “Biogeography and nature protection” of the Institute of sciences around Earth (SPBU)
List of publications
- Malov, S.V., O’Brien S.J. (2017) Life Table Estimator Revisited. Communications in Statistics – Theory and Methods, Published online (to appear in 2018), DOI: 10.1080/03610926.2017.1335418.
- Malov, S.V., Antonik A., Tang M., Berred A., Zeng Yi & O’Brien S.J. (2017) Signal localization: a new approach in signal discovery. Biometrical Journal 59(1), 126 –144. DOI: 10.1002/bimj.201500222.
- Malova, I.Yu., Malov, S.V. (2017) On survival categorical methods from grouped right censored data with unobserved status after censoring. In Applied Methods of Statistical Analysis. Nonparametric Methods in Cybernetics and System Analysis. Proceedings of the International Workshop AMSA’17 (Krasnoyarsk, September 18-22, 2017), 136–142.
- Bajenova, O., Tolkunova, E., Koshkin, S., Malov, S., Thomas, P., Tomilin, A. and O’Brien, S.J. (2017) The role of the carcinoembryonic antigen receptor in colorectal cancer progression. Journal of Integrative Oncology 6(2), 192. DOI:10.4172/2329-6771.1000192.
- Xie, W., Agniel, D., Shevchenko A., Malov, S.V., Svitin, A., Cherkasov, N., Baum, M.K. Campa, A., Gaseitsiwe, S., Bussmann, H., Makhema, J., Marlink,R., Novitsky, V., Lee, T.-H., Cai, T., O’Brien, S.J. and Essex,M. (2017) Genome-Wide Analyses Reveal Gene Influence on HIV Disease Progression and HIV-1C Acquisition in Southern Africa. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses 33(6), 597– 609.
- Kozlov A.P., Skochilov R.V., Toussova O.V., Verevochkin S.V., Krasnoselskikh T.V., Malov S.V., Shaboltas A.V. (2016) HIV incidence and behavioral correlates of HIV acquisition in a cohort of injection drug users in St Petersburg, Russia. Medicine 95(44), e5238, DOI:10.1097/MD.0000000000005238
- Malov, S.V. (2015) Copula process, Archimedean. Wiley StatsRef: Statistics Reference Online. pp. 1–7.
- Malov, S.V. & O’Brien, S.J. (2015) On survival categorical methods based on an extended actuarial estimator. In Applied Methods of Statistical Analysis. Nonparametric Approach. Proceedings of the International Workshop AMSA’15 (Novosibirsk-Belokuriha, September 14-19, 2015), 169–175.
- Svitin, A, Malov, S., Cherkasov, N., Geerts P., Rotkevich, M, Dobrynin P., Shevchenko, A., Guan, Li, Troyer, J., Hendrickson-Lambert, S., Dilks, H.H., Oleksyk, T.K., Donfield, S., Gomperts, E., Jabs, D.A., Sezgin, Efe, Van Natta, M., Harrigan, P.R., Brumme, Z.L. & O’Brien, S.J. (2014), GWATCH: a web platform for automated gene association discovery analysis. GigaScience, 3:18
- Malov S.V. & O’Brien S.J (2013) On Survival Categorical Methods with Applications in Epidemiology and AIDS Research. In Applied Methods of Statistical Analysis. Applications in Survival Analysis, Reliability and Quality Control. Proceedings of the International Workshop AMSA’13 (Novosibirsk, September 25-27, 2013), 173–180.
- Antonik, A., O’Brien S.J. & Malov, S.V. (2013) Whole Genome Sequence Coverage Estimation Re-examined. In Applied Methods of Statistical Analysis. Applications in Survival Analysis, Reliability and Quality Control. Proceedings of the International Workshop AMSA’13 (Novosibirsk, September 25-27, 2013), 46–50.
- Hoffman I.F., Latkin C.A., Kukhareva P.V., Malov S.V., Batluk J.V., Shaboltas A.V., Skochilov R.V., Sokolov N.V., Verevochkin S.V., Hudgens M.G. & Kozlov A.P. (2013). A Peer-Educator Network HIV Prevention Intervention Among Injection Drug Users: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS and Behavior, Vol. 17, Issue 7, pp 2510-2520.
- Dobrynin P., Matyunina E., Malov S.V. & Kozlov A.P. (2013) The Novelty of Human Cancer/Testis Antigen Encoding Genes in Evolution. International Journal of Genomics, Vol.2013, Article ID 105108, 7 pages.
- Malov S.V., Shevchenko, A.K. & O’Brien S.J. (2013) Genome associations discovering. Part 1: Statistical methods (in Russian). Komputerniye instrumenti v obrazovanii, v. 5, pp 17 – 32.
- Malov S.V., Shevchenko, A.K. & O’Brien S.J. (2013). Genome associations discovering. Part 2: Multiple testing problem, computer tools and applications (in Russian). Komputerniye instrumenti v obrazovanii, v. 6, pp. 3-17
- Christoph, G. and Malov S.V. (2012). Asymptotic Properties of Generalized Multivariate Rank Statistics. Accepted to Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods.
- Bagdonavicius V., Malov S.V.&Nikulin M. (2012). Homogeneity Tests for Related Samples Under Censoring, Communications in Statistics: Simulations and Computations 41(6), 764 – 775.
- Malov S.V.,Skochilov R.V. &Kozlov A.P. (2010). Estimation of hazard of epidemic by interval censored data. Russian Journal AIDS, Cancer and Public Health, v. 14, № 1(29), 61 – 64. (in Russian) Christoph, G. and Malov S.V. (2009). On semiparametric estimation in copula models under right censored data, Proceedings of the 6-th St.-Petersburg Workshop on Simulation (Eds. S.M. Ermakov, V.B. Melas and A.N. Pepelyshev)1, 335 – 340.
- Berred A and Malov S.V. (2009).Semiparametric Estimation in Copulas with the Same Marginals, Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods 38(3), 372 – 392.
- Bagdonavicius V., Malov, S., Nikulin, M. (2008). Testing of the homogeneity of marginal distributions in copula models, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, Ser. I 346, 445–450.
- Bagdonavičius, V., Malov, S.V. and Nikulin, M.S. (2006), Semiparametric Regression Estimation in Copula Models, Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods 35(8), 1449 – 1467.
- N. Balakrishnan and S.V. Malov (2005), Some characterizations of exponential distribution based on progressively censored order statistics, In Advances on Models, Characterizations and Applications (Eds., N. Balakrishnan, I.G. Bairamov and O.L. Gebizlioglu), Chapter 6, pp.97-109, Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, New York.
- Ahsanullah, M., Malov, S.V. (2005), On Characterizations via Equivalent Distributions Properties of Records. Proceedings of the Fifth St.-Petersburg Workshop on Simulation (Eds. S.M. Ermakov, V.B. Melas and A.N. Pepelyshev), 17-22.
- Ahsanullah, M. andMalov, S.V. (2004), On Some Characterizations via Distributional Properties of Records, Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications 3(2), 135-140.
- Berred, A. and Malov, S.V. (2004), Semiparametric Estimation in Copulas With the Same Marginals, In Longevity, Aging and Degradation Models in Reliability, Public Health, Medicine and Biology LAD’2004 (eds.,V.Antonov, C.Huber, M.Nikulin, V.Polischook ), pp. 45-51, St.-Petersburg State Politechnical University, St.-Petersburg.
- Ahsanullah, M. and Malov, S.V. (2003). On Characterizations via Linear Regression Properties of Generalized Order Statistics. Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications 2(1), 33-38.
- Balakrishnan, N., Malov, S.V. (2002) Characterizations of proportional Archimedean copulas. Mathematical Methods of Statistics 11, No 4, 489-495.
- Malov, S.V. (2001) On finite-dimensional Archimedean copulas. In Asymptotic Methods in Probability and Statistics with applications (eds.,N.Balakrishnan, I. Ibragimov and V. Nevzorov), Birkhouser, Boston, 19-35,.
- Malov, S.V. (2000) On proportional Archimedean copulas. Abstracts of the second international conference on mathematical methods in reliability, Bordeaux, France, v.2, 743-746.
- Bagdonavicius V., Malov, S.,Nikulin, M. (1999) Characterizations and semiparametric regression estimation in Archimedean copulas. Journal of Applied Statistical Science 8, No 2/3, 137-154.
- Malov, S.V. (1998) Random variables generated by ranks in dependent schemes. Metrika 48, 61-67.
- Malov, S.V. (1998) Some remarks on copulas. Abstracts of communications of the conference “Asymptotic Methods in Probability and Mathematical Statistics” in St.-Petersburg, June 24-28, 166-170.
- Malov, S.V., Nevzorov, V.B. (1997) Characterizations using ranks and order statistics. In: A Volume in Honour of Samuel Kotz, Wiley, NY., 479-489.
- Malov, S.V. (1997) Sequentialτ-ranks. Journal of Applied Statistical Science 5, No 2/3, 211-224.
- Malov, S.V. (1997) Some remarks on finitely dimensional Archimedean copulas. Technical report 97034 of MAB, University Bordeaux 1.
- Malov, S.V. (1996) On characterizations of independent identically distributed random variables via order statistics. Statistics & Probability Letters 26, 97-104
- Malov, S.V.,Nevzorov, V.B., Nikulin, M.S. (1996) Sequential ranks and related topics. Mathematical Methods in Stochastic, Simulation and Experimental Design (Proceedings of the Second St.-Petersburg Workshop on Simulation, St.-Petersburg 1996), 294-299.
- Malov, S.V. (1994) On the strong independence of sequential ranks. Proc. of the Sixth Vilnius Conference in Probab. Th. and Math. Stat. 2, Mokslas Vilnius/VSP, Utrecht, 517-532.
- Malov, S.V. (1993) Sequential ranks and order statistics. Notes Sci.Seminars POMI, 204, 115-125.
- Malov, S.V. (1992) On independence of sequential ranks. Vestnik St.-Petersburg Univ. 25, No.3, 109-113